If you’re looking for countertops that make an elegant statement, you’ll find few options more impactful than marble. Timeless and sophisticated, marble creates a look that you’ll love, and that will wow your guests. It’s a worthwhile investment, but if you want to keep it beautiful, you’ll need to follow some simple tips for keeping your marble countertops looking their best.
- Protect it from scratches and heat. Marble is soft enough that it can be etched or scratched, so it’s important to always use a cutting board when you’re cutting or chopping. Marble is resistant to heat, but that doesn’t mean you should skip the trivet or potholder. Keeping something protective between hot pots and your marble will lengthen its lifespan.
- Wipe as soon as you spill. Marble can be damaged by certain things you’ll use in your kitchen, like vinegar, citrus, and other acidic materials. Never let these things sit on your marble countertop, but wipe them quickly with a soft cloth, using mild soap or hydrogen peroxide.
- Attend to spots quickly. Even if you’re vigilant about wiping up spills, you may find a spot or two on your marble countertop. Fortunately, most stains can be removed with a poultice paste. Try a quick online search and you’ll find all the information you need about these pastes and their application.
- Clean carefully. Whatever you use to clean your marble countertops, make sure you’re gentle. Dust them regularly with a soft microfiber cloth, and for wet cleaning, use a mild, non-abrasive cleaner. Spray the cleaner onto the countertop and rub gently in circles without scrubbing.
- Seal and reseal. Marble countertops require sealing to help prevent stains, spots, and damage. What’s more, you’ll need to reseal your countertops regularly, to keep them from harm. When a countertop is properly sealed, water drops will bead up when they fall on the counter, so if water does not bead on your counter, it’s time to reseal. You can do this yourself, or you can call a professional for assistance if you’d prefer.
When you’re ready to find your perfect countertops, contact Landmark Surfaces. A well-established natural and engineered stone fabricator and installer, Landmark Surfaces has been serving Virginia, Maryland, and DC for 22 years. Our 4 fabrication shops, 4 slab yards, and 1 showroom, as well as our extensive stone inventory, allow Landmark Surfaces to produce the highest quality countertops, with the most natural stone color selections combined with the shortest lead time in the industry. We’ve got locations in Chantilly, Alexandria, or Fredericksburg, Virginia; if you’re looking for professional service, quality workmanship, and the highest level of customer satisfaction possible, visit our website or email us for more information.